Sometimes the most dangerous threats are the things we can’t see. The gas called carbon monoxide falls into this category. Every year, over one hundred thousand carbon monoxide incidences are reported in the United States. Four hundred Americans die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning every year. Alarm Systems can help keep families safe.
What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It is extremely dangerous because it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, making it virtually undetectable. The toxic gas is produced when an incomplete combustion occurs. This means that there wasn’t enough oxygen to allow an organic material to completely oxidize. If there was enough oxygen, the product would be carbon dioxide, the substance exhaled by all human beings. Different levels of exposure result in different severities of symptoms. Acute but mild carbon monoxide poisoning causes headaches, vertigo, confusion, and flu symptoms. Greater exposure can damage the heart and central nervous system and can lead to death. Even low exposure over a period of time can cause symptoms such as depression and memory loss. To treat an exposure, the individual is given 100 percent oxygen or hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Either way, the high amount of oxygen acts as an antidote to restore the body’s normal oxygen levels.
Keeping Your Family Safe
Since this gas is undetectable, individuals and families often do not know they are in danger. House fires, furnaces, electric generators, and automobiles all have the potential to create large amounts of carbon monoxide. Quality alarm systems Stockton CA companies can equip a home with carbon monoxide detectors. These professionals can survey the home and place these detectors in the optimum locations. These detectors work like smoke detectors, alerting household members to a potential problem before they realize it is happening or while they are sleeping.